Long time, no blog... April and May have been very busy with call, research stuff, fellowship application stuff and travel! The good news is I am officially done with my most difficult year of call. I no longer have to cover weekend in-house call. That means no more sleeping in the hospital on the weekend. I still have to take some weeknight call (I'm on call right now), but much less than I have been recently. I also will have moonlighting where I take call from home. So my last round of call consisted of three weekends in a row and the following three weekends I was/will be out of town! I rarely sleep at home these days!!
Moving onto research stuff. I did a research project which I presented for a residency requirement and it also got accepted for presentation at the 87th Annual American College of Radiology National Meeting in Washington D.C. (what a dork!) This entailed me printing out a huge poster with my research and attending the meeting with my program director and a ton of other residents and radiologists from all over. It was basically an all-expense paid trip for about a week, so Mary came along for fun. Poor George had to work. We had a blast. I learned a lot about the health care reform and specifically how it affects radiologists and we went up to Capitol Hill to meet with Senators and Congressman to discuss our issues. I really enjoyed that. You always here that you can sit down and meet with those people and 'tell them what you think', but it was really interesting to actually be a part of that. Anyways, we toured around DC, and ate very well. FYI my research was on breast cancer (just try to read the poster if you want the details, which I am sure you don't!) Which leads me to my next topic...
I have decided on a Fellowship: Breast Imaging/Women's Imaging! This will be an additional year after my residency which is 5 years long, that is a grand total of 6 years! So I have been working on the application process for that. Just to clarify, because even I get confused, I am finishing my 3rd year of residency out of 5.
And on to more travel. Wilson, one of my fellow residents, got married last weekend in Mississippi. George went to Millsaps so we visited some of his friends on Friday night. De Matt is in a band so we went to see him play, they were awesome.

We met up with the wedding crew Friday night and stayed at Bob's (another resident) parent's house which was awesome. It was right on the reservoir, I can't believe I don't have pictures of the amazing view. Thank you Bob and Carly! We hung out at the pool on Saturday and then headed to the wedding which was in an extremely nice horse barn. Yes, I said a horse barn. It was a beautiful wedding. This is Bob and Patrick (another resident) petting the horses before the wedding.
This is Wilson (groom), Carly (Bob's wife) and Jenny Lind (the bride). The reception was outside on the water. It was gorgeous, the food was amazing and Super T rocked it out! They had a cigar bar which George thoroughly enjoyed.
That was last weekend. This weekend we are headed to Yosemite via New Mexico for George's brother's wedding!

You guys were in Jackson! So fun! Sorry we missed you!
ReplyDeleteI know. It was a slam packed short trip!
ReplyDeleteJulia-you are amazing! Congrats....you always wanted to do medical school. it is great to see what you are up to.
ReplyDelete